Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cycling in India stage 31 to Hassan

The hotel had a good breakfast  ready at 6:30,so we were able to get rolling shortly after 7. The temperature was below 20, so I felt a bit under-dressed in my light jersey on the initial downhill. Within 45 minutes, the temperature had picked up, and it kept rising all morning.
The first part of the ride was across a flat plain with mixed agriculture and some small reservoirs. At 40k, we climbed for 7k on a smooth but hot road with little traffic, and shot down the other side into treed and cool coffee plantations. A dramatic demonstration of what the development of tree cover does to ambient temperature.
Eventually we were back in more arid country, where we could feel the heat. The total distance was 135k, so I kept up a steady pace except for a side trip to a temple, where I couldn't see a safe place to leave my bike, so I just looked from outside.
Nice, quiet country hotel with a good shower and tea set with kettle...



No comments:

Post a Comment